marți, 28 februarie 2012

WALNUT CARAMEL BAR COOKIES

      Lets see: what are you doing if you loooooooooovvvveeeeeeeeee caramel and nuts and this recipe makes you die for a piece of it, but don't have any pecan on hands? You become creative, no? At least so did i. This is my version of the recipe, where i replaced the pecans with walnuts and the result was more than what i expected.

The dough:
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (80 grams) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup (95 grams) granulated sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg (i used one medium egg)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
I stired all the ingredients into a bowl, untill i got a tough dough.



I lined up a pan with baking paper and press the dough in it, using my fingers (wet your hands, if the dough stick to your fingers). I let it chill for 1/2 hour, baked it at 175C, untill the edges were golden.

I let it cool off completelly.


The topping:
3/4 cups (150 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy cream
3 tablespoons (40 grams) unsalted butter, cut into bits
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon  salt
1 cup (114 grams) pecans, toasted cooled, and coarsely chopped (we dont have pecan trees
here, so i replaced the pecans with walnuts, the taste it is not too different, i think)
I cooked the sugar into a pan until it melted and became golden caramel. i poured in cream and cooked on low fire untill the caramel was dissolved. I removed it from head and added butter, vanilla, salt and walnuts.

I spreaded it on the top of cooked dough and baked it until it started bubbling on the edges.I let it cool completelly and cut it in bars.
       Enjoy it!!!!!

2 comentarii:

  1. This looks so delicious. I'll definitely have to give it a try, but with pecans since I always have those on hand :)

    RăspundețiȘtergere
  2. Wellcome to my blog, Shell, and thanks for the nice words. You wont be disappointed by this recipe. And the original one calls for pecan, so, go ahead with those. The taste it is not too different between walnuts and pecans, from my point of view.

    RăspundețiȘtergere